Sunday, April 13, 2014

Day 1 - Destination: Grants, New Mexico

No matter how we plan seems like we're always late. We left 45 minutes late at 7:45a but that wasn't too bad. Mom came to see us off which was VERY nice.

Beautiful drive to Flagstaff  passing Stoneman Lake Road. Doing some research on my phone, I find that there is actually a Stoneman Lake. It's one of the few natural lakes in AZ with a depth of less than 10 feet. As soon as we passed Flagstaff the WIND arrived. Wind like neither of us has EVER seen. AZ has a lot of wind and duststorms but nothing like what we endured from Winslow on east. The wind blew Sister over twice at the rest stop past Meteor Crater just before Winslow.

1:11p, we hit the New Mexico state line. Stopped at the Visitor's Center to be once again assaulted by the wind. Poor Sis was blown around and pelted by dirt. I picked her up and carried her back to the truck walking backwards, taking the rain which had just decided to start, on my back. Don had to get out of the truck to come to my side and close the door. The wind was so strong, I could not pull the door closed.

The rest of the ride was hellacious. Wind, rain, dirt, wind, rain, dirt...on and on. The dirt came across the road in sheets. I think we arrived at Grants KOA around 3:45 but I'm not sure. Don and I worked quickly getting set up and here we sit watching the news, having a cocktail, waiting for Don's catered meal. They do that here. I ate what we did not finish during the trip up here. I eat anything.. It is raining steady now which is so much better than the blowing dirt. I hope it stops by the time Sis needs to go out... We have the fireplace on and probably the heat soon. It is 46 degrees now. We are not in Phoenix anymore.

So there is Day 1. I hope I didn't bore anyone with my writing. I'm new to this and not sure exactly what to include but you now know how our day was.

Destination for Day 2 is Amarillo, Texas. Looking on line, it is supposed to start snowing there around midnight - a winter storm....oh no....

Goodnight everyone. We love you all!

Picture of the day - Day 1 at the Conoco Truck Stop outside of Holbrook.

No comments:

Post a Comment