Wednesday, April 30, 2014


April 30th - Day 3 of RAIN. It was raining when we left Elkhart/South Bend and it followed us to Erie, PA and refuses to leave us. We have seen more rain in 3 days than we get in AZ, all year. The ground at this KOA is saturated. After the just under 12 feet of snow this past year and now all this rain, the ground can't take it. We even had to move spots this afternoon as our spot was flooded out. Apparently they did some construction work here and that work caused our space to flood as we were told it never did before..... :-)

So, today was Niagara Falls day. I will post pictures at the bottom. It rained all the way there and drizzled while we were there. The wind on the way was horrible and we passed several overturned trailers and semis on the way. They apparently turned over  yesterday with wind gusts of 75 miles per hour as the toll booth attendant told us. All booth attendants have been very nice. Could it be because they all share in the take as the money doesn't seem to go to road maintenance in many areas.

So the ride over was gorgeous again. This time however much of the land was covered in grape vines as Ryan told me we'd see. More beautiful, huge homes with lots of green land around them complete with creeks, ponds, rivers, streams etc. How awesome to sit on your porch and see such sites. I get jealous and then thank God for the beautiful home we have in AZ. It's the totally different landscape and lifestyle (even if it's only in my mind) that I see. Of course these people have to work too but again, it looks so idyllic.

Oh, yesterday we went out to Presque Isle. It is a little isle that juts out into Lake Erie. It was very windy and there were white caps in the water. It was spooky walking on the dock with that wind and I didn't go far and was very careful. The isle was very nice and the ride back out took us on the other side. It was calm and had beautiful, deserted (at this time of year) beaches. The lake looks like an ocean because you can't see the other side. You just see water, everywhere you look. I picked up some cool, flat rocks to bring home.

On to the Falls... they are gorgeous! I am so glad we took the time after Elkhart to come further east. I had never seen the Falls and am so glad I did. We stopped first at the rapids just before the Falls. That would be some white knuckle rafting if it were allowed but I don't think anyone would survive. The water runs hard and fast.  Back into the truck and down the road a very small way and we parked at the Falls. Luckily there were not many other people around at this time which made it very nice. I don't think there were more than 20 people around at any one time. Pets are welcome and we were even able to take her in the buildings with us since some of the outside walks were closed for construction. The boat ride was closed as was the gift shops due to repairs and construction. They were even working on some of the outside walks alongside the Falls. I guess the harsh winter put them behind. There was still lots of ice at the Falls and we even saw lots of ice floating on Lake Erie on the way over.

Our Baby Sis, was again such a trooper. It was cold and rainy and she handled it well. Don and I took turns with her so we could take pictures but of course she liked it best when she was zipped in my jacket. She has been through so much and has done so well. I can't say enough about how good she has been for an old, blind girl. Her reward is sleeping in our bed every night. She'll stay in it long into the morning if we let her. She eats and goes out at about 6a, then goes back to bed. The other day she stayed in there until after 10:30. She deserves it.

I didn't get to have my white pizza. Sad face... but the rest of the day makes up for it. I did make some calls and found white pizza in South Bend where we'll be returning tomorrow. It's time for us to head back. The cold and rain have turned us around but that's ok. We've been gone awhile and it will still take some time to get home. And, Macri's Italian Bakery is in South Bend. I think I should go there again to be sure my first opinion was correct. Happy face....

I think that's about it. I forgot my notebook today which I've taken every day to write notes. I don't think I forgot anything. If I do remember anything, I'll post it next time.

Good night everyone. I end with thanks to our loving Lord for the privilege of getting to see the beauty of His creation and our safe travels. Our God is an awesome God. My prayer is that all my family and friends have a relationship with our Lord Jesus so that we can all meet again in heaven after our brief time here is over. Wouldn't that be awesome!!!
 
 
 
Hootie in my jacket. She was shivering.
This is after the water comes off the Falls.

No comments:

Post a Comment